[DCRM-L] Asterism

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Sun Oct 30 19:19:10 MDT 2011

If I were referring to such a phenomenon in a non-collation note I'd feel
constrained to explain it: "asterism (i.e. 3 asterisks in a pyramid)". What
of an inverted pyramid (much more common)? And in a collational *formula* I'd
write "3*", and describe the arrangement in a further note, if the exact
form needed specifying for some reason. What about six asterisks in a
pyramid?

Or is this a thickly pedantic response to a slightly tongue-in-cheek
suggestion (for which I get maybe the lower half of a star for taking the
bait, but no more than that)?

It's a wonderful word, nevertheless.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU