[DCRM-L] Asterism

Mon Oct 31 08:00:15 MDT 2011

Oh no, it was serious. I like using a single word that exactly describes
character in a signature statement or in a note, and think your
workarounds are less descriptive and less elegant. Why would you feel
constrained to explain a standard dictionary word?

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Noble, Richard
Sent: Sunday, 30 October, 2011 21:19
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Asterism

If I were referring to such a phenomenon in a non-collation note I'd
feel constrained to explain it: "asterism (i.e. 3 asterisks in a
pyramid)". What of an inverted pyramid (much more common)? And in a
collational formula I'd write "3*", and describe the arrangement in a
further note, if the exact form needed specifying for some reason. What
about six asterisks in a pyramid?

Or is this a thickly pedantic response to a slightly tongue-in-cheek
suggestion (for which I get maybe the lower half of a star for taking
the bait, but no more than that)?

It's a wonderful word, nevertheless.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN
UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 :
RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Deborah J. Leslie <DJLeslie at folger.edu>