[DCRM-L] Asterism

Hal Cain hegcain at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 16:29:11 MDT 2011

> Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:53:50 +0000
> From: Robert Maxwell <robert_maxwell at byu.edu>
> Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Asterism
> To: DCRM Revision Group List <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
>
> I have to agree with Richard. This evidently useful term appears to be
> news to the experienced rare materials catalogers here, including, perhaps,
> even you, Deborah (at least I got that impression from your first
> message)-if none of us had ever heard of it before this dcrm-l exchange,
> how can we expect users of the catalog to know what we are talking about?

The commonest Australian general dictionary, the Macquarie Dictionary,
gives meanings only in astronomy and crystallography. A definition search
in Google elicits: "A group of three asterisks (***) drawing attention to
following text." That doesn't seem to me to be exactly what Deborah is
talking about.

Hal Cain
Melbourne, Australia
hegcain at gmail.com