[DCRM-L] Asterism

Mon Oct 31 16:46:27 MDT 2011

That doesn't matter, it's the character itself that's important. Take
paragraph marks, which are used to mark the beginning of new paragraphs
in text, but that doesn't mean they're any less paragraph marks when
used to sign gatherings.

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Hal Cain
Sent: Monday, 31 October, 2011 18:29
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Asterism

	Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:53:50 +0000
	From: Robert Maxwell <robert_maxwell at byu.edu>
	To: DCRM Revision Group List <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>

	I have to agree with Richard. This evidently useful term appears
to be news to the experienced rare materials catalogers here, including,
perhaps, even you, Deborah (at least I got that impression from your
first message)-if none of us had ever heard of it before this dcrm-l
exchange, how can we expect users of the catalog to know what we are
talking about?

The commonest Australian general dictionary, the Macquarie Dictionary,
gives meanings only in astronomy and crystallography. A definition
search in Google elicits: "A group of three asterisks (***) drawing
attention to following text." That doesn't seem to me to be exactly what
Deborah is talking about.

Hal Cain

Melbourne, Australia

hegcain at gmail.com