[DCRM-L] How to cite auction sale in provenance note

Tue Sep 27 13:39:40 MDT 2011

Henry,

If there is a standardized way, I don't know of it. I should think that including the following as it is available in natural language, as long as it is clear, should be fine.

§  Auction house

§  Date of sale

§  Whose collection, if the sale is identified in that way

§  Lot number, if available

Sotheby sale of W.B. Rhodes' library, April 1825:17