[DCRM-L] How to cite auction sale in provenance note

Daryl Green dtg4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 02:12:18 MDT 2011

Hi Henry,
If it is the direct source of acquisition, I use the 541 field in a construction like this:
541 1      |cPurchase;|aSotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge (David Laing's sale, third portion, first day, no. 1184);|d1879.|5StSaUL

Hope this helps!
-Daryl

Daryl Green
Rare Books Cataloguer
Department of Special Collections
Library Annexe
North Haugh
St Andrews
KY16 9WH
Scotland

Tel: 01334 462339
E: speccoll at st-andrews.ac.uk<mailto:speccoll at st-andrews.ac.uk>
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/library/specialcollections/
Echoes from the Vault: a blog from the Rare Books Collection of the University of St Andrews<http://standrewsrarebooks.wordpress.com/>

The Department of Special Collections of the University Library has relocated to new premises on the North Haugh and is now open to readers by appointment only. Please contact us on speccoll at st-andrews.ac.uk<mailto:speccoll at st-andrews.ac.uk> or 01334-462339 to book a seat in our Reading Room.

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532