[DCRM-L] DPC: changing "relator terms" to "relationship designators"

Fri Aug 3 15:04:28 MDT 2012

Does anybody know if MARC intends to keep up the code list, and reconcile it where necessary with RDA designators?

Traditionally, the BSC has recommended the use of RBMS terms over MARC codes, although we've gone to great lengths to reconcile our term list with the MARC code list, so that libraries preferring to use the codes can still be more-or-less consistent with those who use the terms.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | 202.675-0369 | www.folger.edu

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Noble, Richard
Sent: Thursday, 02 August, 2012 20:15
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] DPC: changing "relator terms" to "relationship designators"

The use of codes v. terms world always be inconsistent, so this may not matter--but the best thing about codes is that they are not words. At one point, working with a front end that indexed the codes as keywords along with everything else, they were very useful as limiting terms, specific to the concept, unlike the terms, which are often common words useless for searching.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU<mailto:RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>