[DCRM-L] RDA-acceptable: Indicating misprints

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Mon Aug 6 13:39:09 MDT 2012

There might have been a decisive consensus at that particular gathering for wanting to indicate misprints within the element, but has a strong rare materials reason for an exception from the general guidelines been articulated? I agree that it's nice to see up front that there's a misprint, but RDA's stand is taken on the grounds of representation-we should be transcribing what is there and not adding stuff to title transcriptions. I would have thought that was exactly what the rare cataloging community's stand would be as well, with our emphasis on representation. If DCRM is going to take a stand that we should create a LESS exact title transcription than RDA (by interpolating stuff like "sic" and "i.e.", much of which is based on cataloger interpretation), we'd better have a pretty good justification for it, I think. I'm not seeing it just now ...

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602