[DCRM-L] Clarification of leaves and pages (6JSC/LC/21Clarification of leaves and pages

Elizabeth O'Keefe EOKEEFE at themorgan.org
Fri Aug 17 10:59:57 MDT 2012

It's not all that uncommon for manuscripts with content on both sides of
each leaf to be paginated only on the recto of each leaf.  E.g., 1, [2],
3, [4]. Since these are page numbers, not leaf numbers, we would give
the count in  terms of pages, with a note, "Page numbers written only on
rectos."

Liz O'Keefe

Elizabeth O'Keefe
Director of Collection Information Systems
The Morgan Library & Museum
225 Madison Avenue
New York, NY  10016-3405

TEL: 212 590-0380
FAX: 212-768-5680
NET: eokeefe at themorgan.org

Visit CORSAIR, the Library’s comprehensive collections catalog, now
on
the web at
http://corsair.themorgan.org

>>> Ted P Gemberling <tgemberl at uab.edu> 8/17/2012 12:31 PM >>>
It seems this whole argument misses an obvious fact. One side of the
argument wants the decisive issue to be whether pages are printed on
just one side; the other, whether there are numbers on both sides. But
obviously, given that a leaf is two pages, it's possible for a book with
leaves printed on both sides to have numbers on one side only. In that
case, a book of 48 leaf numbers is also a book of 96 pages.  So the
sensible thing to do is this:

48 leaves [i.e., 96 p.]

It might also be possible for a book with leaves printed on both sides
to have numbers on just one side that represent the pages. In other
words, after the leaf numbered on the recto "42," the next leaf is
numbered on the recto "44." In that case, you would say "96 p." even
though there are numbers on just one side. I can't say I've ever seen
that, but I think it's possible. I suppose if it was printed on just one
side, you would want a clarifying note: "Leaves are printed on one side
only."

Neither criterion makes good sense. If we can put bracketed
clarifications after the number of leaves, there is no good reason to
adopt either.

Ted Gemberling
UAB Lister Hill Library
(205)934-2461