[DCRM-L] FW: [PCCLIST] Relationship Designator TG Report Open for Comment

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Thu Dec 6 10:45:31 MST 2012

I think this merits a formal protest from BSC. When RDA was under development BSC asked the JSC if we would be able to continue to use relationship designators outside the RDA appendix (thinking of the MARC list and in particular the RBMS terms) and we were assured on more than one occasion that the RDA list would not be closed and we would indeed be able to use terms from outside the appendix. This unfortunately sounds like bait and switch (although I realize the PCC is not the same as the JSC). I don't think the rare community, the authors of the RBMS list, should consent to having terms we need vetted by somebody else before we're permitted to use them. And even though it is characterized as fast track, the process described in section 5 of the report is indeed a vetting process (*if approved* the JSC secretary adds proposed terms to the appendix) and there's no guarantee that our terms will be approved. We've already seen controversy about "publisher" and "printer".

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602