[DCRM-L] Signature question

Marilyn McClaskey m-mccl at umn.edu
Wed Dec 26 15:49:14 MST 2012

Thanks for the guidance, John.

The History of Sumatra, containing an account of
the government ... / by William Marsden, F.R.S.
...   London : Printed for the author and sold by Thomas Payne ... MDCCLXXXIII.

The book is well and truly bound and the pages so
deep that I cannot tell the structure without
doing serious damage.  I can see, however, that
there is a stub between b and c, partially pasted
to the back of b, but b is sewn in deeply, not
dependent upon that stub.  I tried tugging at it
a bit and it seems more like to be [blank] and b
conjugate, then c and [blank] conjugate.  And
actually, it may indeed be the stub that is
conjugate with the first blank and b was pasted
onto it before binding (which is likely contemporary with the publication)

Hope this helps.

m-mccl at umn.edu
(612) 626-0127