[DCRM-L] Signature question

JOHN LANCASTER jjlancaster at me.com
Wed Dec 26 18:08:46 MST 2012

Although the ESTC record states only "plate" and "map", again the Texas copy has the plate of alphabets as well.  And it's present in the 1784 edition, where ESTC calls for "plates".  In the absence of directions to the binder or other mention of what's supposed to be present, it can't be determined definitively whether the alphabet plate is supposed to be present in a perfect copy, though a census of copies could be suggestive.

As to a/A - the preliminaries were typically printed last (which is why the text begins with sig. B in many cases), and the prelims. are often signed in ways that don't lead directly into the rest of the signing.  b followed by c is an uncommon combination, but not cause for concern that anything's missing.