[DCRM-L] Fill-in colophon?

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Feb 24 12:54:54 MST 2012

Is this by any chance an academic thesis? Is the wording of the colophon
related to the day and hour of the presentation? On title pages these were
occasionally left blank, though I don't know whether this was a matter of
small blocks of standing type being used for boilerplate, or just setting
of the boilerplate portion before the schedule was known to the printer,
sometimes to be completed, sometimes not. I don't know that I've seen a
real colophon dated to the hour, though others with more experience in this
period and place may have done.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU