[DCRM-L] ALA MW discussion topic, especially for BSC and DCRM editorial teams

Fletcher, Jain jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Thu Jan 5 11:45:57 MST 2012

Hello, everyone,

   In the course of our DCRM(M) post-review editing, I have found some issues around parallel / multiple language cataloging that need discussion.  Jane Carpenter has been kind enough to add this topic to the BSC agenda at MidWinter. In letting BSC know about it, she gave them a nice summary statement, which I am including below, because it is so concisely informative:

In response to comments from members of the Music Library Association (MLA) that  DCRM(M) draft rules did not offer enough guidance on transcribing parallel bibliographic information, Jain Fletcher and the DCRM(M) Editorial Team began studying and comparing AACR2 and DCRM rules relating to parallel statements. The Team felt that they needed to write more detailed rules for parallel statements in DCRM(M) than were found in DCRM(B), and that the Graphics and Cartographic Teams might want to follow suit.  Books and Serials might consider rewriting their instructions for parallel statements for future revisions.

The Music Team has requested time at the Midwinter meeting to bring some of their issues, and the results of their research on parallel statements to the members of BSC for their comment (see proposed discussion points at end of "Background and Overview" document).

Attached are four documents which Jain Fletcher created as background reading for discussion at Midwinter:

*     Background and Overview of need for more detailed guidance on transcribing parallel statements

*     DCRM(M) draft rules, expanded (in yellow) to provide more guidance and examples for parallel statements

*     Comparison of the rules for parallel statements in AACR2, LCRIs, and DCRMs (General, for Books, for Music) - arranged by rule

*     Analytic table of rules for parallel statements in AACR2, LCRIs, and DCRMs arranged by type of guidance

Please take some time to read through this suite of documents, so that you come to the Midwinter meeting prepared to comment and to ask questions.  I know the Music Team editors will appreciate receiving feedback and guidance from BSC members.  If you have questions about any of the documents, please write to Jain Fletcher at jfletchr at library.ucla.edu<mailto:jfletchr at library.ucla.edu>.

   Jane had also attached the documents that I provided to her along with this message, but now they have been posted on the BSC Conference Documents website in PDF form (thanks to Randy Brandt). Here's the link to that:  < http://www.rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/conference-docs/>  (& they are also linked from the DCRM(M) page, under Conference Documents, "Working papers...").  If you want more background about the issues, please start by reading the "...Overview" doc (which also actually ends by listing the issues I want to pose at BSC).  I have to admit that my docs are nowhere near as concise as Jane's nice overview, but this is a big issue (I believe) and needs some spelling out. One thing I can note is that the doc called "...Comparisons" is a full outlay of all the pertinent related rules in AACR2 (Ch. 2 & 5), the LCRIs, DCRM(B) and DCRM(M). So, as such, it is quite long, but the "good news" is that there is NO NEED for anyone to pull out any of these rule books to see what they say/do about these issues--that doc acts as a "one-stop shopping" reference point (in other words, you could even read it all on the plane going to ALA!).

   I am just finalizing the edits to DCRM(Music), new version 5B(!), and I am including in it the parallel additions/changes I've suggested in the doc called "...Additions - Rule by Rule". I am doing that so you can see these changes "in situ", figuring that it will be easier to take them out (if you insist!), than to put them in after our discussion.  Based on how much time I've been taking each evening with my Music 5B editing, I am projecting that I will have DCRM(M) version 5B ready for viewing by this coming Monday, Jan. 9. So you will also be able to take a look at these changes in a DCRM doc at that time.

                                                                                                                Thanks, Jain
Jain Fletcher
Principal Cataloger & Head, Cataloging Section
Collection Management Division
Library Special Collections
Young Research Library - UCLA Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575
v: (310) 794-4096
f: (310) 206-1864
e: jfletchr at library.ucla.edu<mailto:jfletchr at library.ucla.edu>