[DCRM-L] Relationship designators

Tue Jul 24 14:22:52 MDT 2012

Down the road, the BSC will want to consider whether to propose all our terms to RDA and abandon keeping a separate list; perhaps only keeping a supplemental list if any of our terms are rejected. At a quick skim, I'm finding the definitions quite good. For example:
etcher A person, family, or corporate body involved in manufacturing a manifestation by subjecting metal, glass, or some other surface used for printing, to acid or another corrosive substance. [I.4.1]

On the other hand, I'm scratching my head over this one: What does it mean for an item to be "dedicated" to someone?
dedicatee of item A person, family, or corporate body to whom an item is dedicated. [I.5.2]

For those not yet plunged into the RDA deep end: the lists of relationship designators are contained in several appendixes, and are specific in identifying whether the relationship is to the work, the expression, the manifestation, or the item.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Lapka, Francis
Sent: Tuesday, 24 July 2012 16:09
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Relationship designators

John,

What counts as “missing?” The RBMS list of relator terms is much larger than RDA’s list relationship designators. Are some of these worthy of inclusion on the RDA list (Fast Tracked perhaps), and others not?

Francis

Francis Lapka, Catalog Librarian
Yale Center for British Art, Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
1080 Chapel Street, PO Box 208280, New Haven, CT  06520
203.432.9672    francis.lapka at yale.edu<mailto:francis.lapka at yale.edu>