[DCRM-L] Term(s) for non-textual marks in books?

Jeffrey P. Barton jpbarton at Princeton.EDU
Wed Jun 6 15:17:54 MDT 2012

What terms do others use for non-textual marks and annotations in books?  I'm thinking specifically of marks found in children's books, but I think that the usage would apply to old books in general, as well.

Some of the marks I'm thinking of are drawings of sorts (sometimes copying illustrations printed in a book, at least in part, but often they're not-a reader just using empty pages/spaces in the book as blank writing paper).  Some are marks more like doodling, often on paste-downs but sometimes elsewhere. And some are what the curator terms "pen trials," which I think is a useful term for marks made when someone seems to be testing out a pen (with the sort of squiggly lines you now see on blank pages in a store selling pens).  These aren't "inscriptions" or "annotations," and "markings" doesn't really seem like a term that's properly descriptive (or one I imagine researchers readily look for?).

Thanks for any ideas

JB

Jeff Barton
Cotsen Children's Library Cataloger
Rare Books & Special Collections Department
Princeton University Library
One Washington Rd.
Princeton, NJ 08544
Jpbarton[at]princeton.edu