[DCRM-L] Funeral Sermons Genre Heading

Ryan Hildebrand ryan.hildebrand at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 6 10:40:25 MDT 2012

I think Funeral sermons would not be appropriate for these items. Memorial
sermons--not in the RBMS Controlled Vocabularies--seems to be the
appropriate term. A quick look in WorldCat indicates warrant, so I would
invite the proposal of this (or a similar) term. A proposal may be submitted
at:
http://www.rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/controlled_vocabular
ies/form_thesaurus_term_proposal.shtml

The distinctions drawn between LC subject headings Funeral services and
Memorial services, while not immediately useful, address the fundamental
concerns of this conversation.

All this said, there are certainly records in WorldCat for sermons
occasioned by someone's death, but not delivered at a funeral, that have the
heading 655_7 Funeral sermons |2rbgenr. In the woeful absence of a scope
note, it is hard for me to say one should not do this. But I wouldn't.

Best,

Ryan

--

Ryan Hildebrand

Book Cataloging Dept. Head

Carl and Lily Pforzheimer Foundation Curator

Harry Ransom Center

University of Texas at Austin

P.O. Box 7219

Austin, TX 78713-7219