[DCRM-L] Paul Revere engraving, "Buried with Him by baptism"

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Mon Mar 12 13:56:57 MDT 2012

The Brown University Library has just brought to light, from its casual
hiding place in a book long in our collections, a copy of Paul Revere's
print "Buried with Him by baptism". It's quite rare, and I've spent a few
hours on the Internet tracking down copies. It seems possible that you have
one of them.

The gist of what I've found is noted in our catalog record, in progress:

http://josiah.brown.edu/record=b6122827

I have found out, from the curator of prints at the American Antiquarian
Society, that the second AAS copy noted by Clarence Brigham was actually on
deposit from a certain Ralph Jones, and was returned to his estate in Mar.
1967. The print is referred to in a newspaper article about the GBT in
the *Middlesex
News*, the second of two articles reproduced at

http://www.howetavern.com/wp-content/themes/Zeke10/images/GoldenBall_MN_undated.pdf

This article must date from ca. 1979 (the GBT was 211 years old at the time
of writing), and my guess is that the print, having been returned, found
its way to the attic when the house was being renovated. It sounds as if it
must have moved back downstairs, and I wonder if it is among your treasures
currently. At this point it would be (counting our newly unearthed copy)
one of five known copies, and a very nice thing to have--certainly that's
our opinion of it.

I have to say that the cloud of links among the websites for the old inns
of the Boston region makes for a very interesting afternoon of divergent
and convergent clicking.

Best wishes,

Richard Noble

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU