[DCRM-L] Signatures on periodical records?

Ted P Gemberling tgemberl at uab.edu
Fri Mar 23 10:23:21 MDT 2012

We are using the DCRM(b) rules at my library for materials before 1801. I assume there might be a DCRM(s) manual for serials, but we do not currently have that, and I don't know if we will get it because we don't have a real extensive collection of serials from before 1801.

Our practice has been to put signatures on pre-1801 materials, though I don't believe that's mandated by DCRM(b) except for incunabula. At this point, I am recording the signatures for a periodical from the late 18th century. We do not have the entire collection, just volumes 3, 9, and 15, and index volumes for volumes 1-12 and 13-24. There are a total of 41 volumes. Would you recommend I put them on the OCLC master record for this journal?

I suppose it could be informative for others. There are currently no signatures on the record. However, it occurred to me that recording signatures for every volume of a journal could take up a tremendous amount of space on an OCLC record. Would we want to?

Thanks, Ted Gemberling
UAB Lister Hill Library
(205)934-2461