[DCRM-L] Signatures on periodical records?

Randal Brandt rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 23 10:46:33 MDT 2012

Ted,

Yes, there is indeed a DCRM manual for serials. DCRM(S) was published by
the Bibliographic Standards Committee and the Library of Congress in
2008 and is available through Cataloger's Desktop, if you've got access
to that.

Signatures are covered in rule 7B11 of DCRM(S):

    Make a note giving details of the signatures of a serial, if
    considered important. Give these signature details generally
    according to DCRM(B) 7B9. Preface this note with the word
    "Signatures" and a colon.

    /[Examples omitted]/

    Omit signature statements if there are too many volumes, or if the
    collation is too complex.

When we were addressing signatures in serials, we considered the
cataloging of multi-volume monographs as comparable to serials. If
you've got a book issued in several volumes, how do you deal with
signatures? It's the same for serials. If you only have 3 out of 41
volumes, it might not be worth the trouble of including the signatures.
And, if you had all 41 volumes, the note would probably fall under the
"too many volumes" clause of 7B11.

Please note, however, that there are many other rules in DCRM(S) that
differ greatly from standard AACR2/CONSER serials cataloging rules (and
are certainly not covered in DCRM(B)). If you don't have access to the
rules, you won't be able to code the record as "dcrms".

All the best,
Randal Brandt
(member of the DCRM(S) editorial team)

--
Randal Brandt
rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
http://bancroft.berkeley.edu
"It's hard enough to remember my opinions without
remembering my reasons for them"--The Streets.