[DCRM-L] (no subject)

John Lancaster jjlancaster at me.com
Fri May 11 14:44:55 MDT 2012

I hesitate to take issue with either Deborah or Richard, but I’d point out again that OCLC’s criteria for justification of a new record explicitly mention - as the only specific title evidence mentioned for rather than against creating a new record - difference in the title proper.

I’m also not sure why the textual or commercial history of a work or its manifestations should be so completely privileged over the manufacturing history.  In fact, one reason for the creation of the specialized cataloguing rules we work with was specifically to provide more information about the physical (i.e. production) aspects of the books we catalogue.  In this case, in addition to the two words on the title page that differ, there is some unspecified amount of variation in the preliminaries - perhaps only typographic and not textual, but nevertheless worth noting.

In other words, I’m not convinced that the distinctions here are irrelevant (despite agreeing with Richard’s final sentence) - relevance depends on who the “user” is imagined to be.  (I’m actually as much interested in the comment that the printer’s practice is to spell the name “Willughbeij” - the form used in this variant.)  I wonder if any of the copies of the 1743 reissue (or those with the 1740 index added, but without the 1743 cancel title) have the variant preliminaries.

If the record is properly crafted (in this case, I imagine that would mean with appropriate notes), I don’t see any danger that the distinguishing variations will be obscured.

Taxonomists in every field range from lumpers to splitters (terms coined by Darwin) - we see it every day in the way we and our colleagues structure our folders on our computers - and there will probably never be an end to it.  This case strikes me as being on the border, and I guess I lean toward the splitters in this case.  I think the differences are more interesting than the similarities.

John Lancaster