[DCRM-L] Confused by transcription of i/j and u/v

Ted P Gemberling tgemberl at uab.edu
Thu Nov 15 13:55:17 MST 2012

I find this a difficult part of the DRBM(b) instructions to understand. In particular, I don't understand the example on p. 35 (rule 0G2.2). The rule says "follow the pattern of usage in the publication being described." For instructions on how to do so, it says to consult Appendix G.4. But G.4.2 says examine the usage in each typeface in the book. Maybe I'm confused about how to know when one typeface ends and another begins. Are all the letters in the "source" in 0G2.2 roman, whether capitalized or not? The comment says that the body of the book uses u where V is used in the first few words of the title, so all the V's are converted to u's in transcription. So if the book is all in roman type, then the majority determines which to use?

I am cataloging a book that has been transcribed in two different ways. Some catalogers have used: Gvlielmi Ballonii ... Consiliorvm medicinalivm libri II. Others, Gulielmi Ballonii ... Consiliorum medicinalium libri II. Now, the fact is that those first words of the title page are in all caps and only v is used. But in the following lower case lettering, v is used in initial position and u everywhere else. So am I right to assume that's the pattern of usage I should follow? I've also noticed the printer used 'ij' at the end of words, so I'm guessing the title page should be transcribed:

Gulielmi Ballonij ... Consiliorum medicinalium libri II

(I will remove the sign of omission: I know we're not supposed to delete any of the first five words of a title.)

Maybe I answered my own questions, but it would be helpful if someone would confirm whether I understood those things correctly.

Thanks,
Ted Gemberling
UAB Lister Hill Library
(205)934-2461