[DCRM-L] Collation conundrum

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Nov 20 11:22:08 MST 2012

The problem with A^8 (A8 + chi 1.2) is that it can only be construed as an
alternate and incorrect* formulation for A^8 [B]^2. That is, of course, a
perfectly possible composition for a copy in which the conjugate blank leaf
is not "wrapped back", and if that were the only copy one had seen there
would be no reason to formulate ideal copy otherwise.

This is an instance of a hard case making dicey law, since the use of the
outer fold as a self wrapper is essentially a binding decision. In the end A^8
[B]^2 may be the best description, with a note to the effect that blank B2
is usually, or in all known cases (if you have evidence that "thick"),
wrapped back to form a front cover; it can't be presented as representing
ideal copy. "Blank half title" is the sort of pawky witticism that could be
expected from us bibliographer types, but it cannot be admitted to the
canon.

*On two counts: the position of B1 is unambiguous, and it is incorrect not
to infer its signature; also, since we are talking about a bifolium, it is,
if not wrapped back, simply an adjacent normal 2-leaf gathering, for which
the "+" insert notation is inappropriate.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU