[DCRM-L] Collation conundrum

Lenore Rouse rouse at cua.edu
Tue Nov 20 10:44:16 MST 2012

Thank you to all who made suggestions on this. There seems little
support for the arranged marriage of PI and CHI. I had considered the
pi1 + insert of A formulation but was hoping to avoid the complexity,
though it seems the likeliest solution.

But having once been forced to THINK, I confess Richard's "made up"
solution points in another direction. It bothers me a bit to name the
fold [B] but calling it PI also seems problematic when it was really an
expedient afterthought to handle the last page of type, not meant to be
a real prelim. Could one follow the Bowers practice of "associating"
the  bifolium with leaf A8 while still calling it CHI, since the first
leaf of the bifolium merely continues the text of A8? Perhaps:
A^8 (A8 + chi 1.2)
and a note to explain that chi2 is the conjugate unprinted "half title".
If the note will not suffice could a cancellation/removal of chi2 work
as well as the cancellation of [B]2 or does it make most sense to cave
and go with [B]?

Thanks again and best holiday wishes.
Lenore