[DCRM-L] Gathered in 9's?

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Thu Nov 29 12:30:53 MST 2012

Bowers, p. 434:

"A small number of irregular formats will be found which must violate the
principle of even index-figure and be listed with odd index numbers.
<fn6>Some examples from Washington Irving, with mention of several early
nineteenth-century books, are provided by Jacon Blanck, '*Salmagundi* and
Its Publisher,' [*PBSA*] XLI (1947), 7n.</fn6> But such a formula as
*A*1* *B-H^9
I^8 would be appropriate only if (*a*) the gatherings in 9's are not
isolated phenomena but the customary form of the book; (*b*) the single
leaf which makes the odd number is inserted in the center of the quire."

This is in the C19/C20 section of the *Principles*, so the problem of
format is elided here. If we know that we're dealing with the product of a
hand-press, we can confidently call this 18mo (9s). Jaggard's "12mo" is
surely a size statement--nothing to do with technical format at all--and it
most certainly is not 8vo. There were 18 type pages on the bed of the
press, thus 18mo, imposed so as to produce two identical half sheets of 9
leaves, which is just as much 18mo as 18mo (6s), and exactly analogous to
12mo (6s). (In fact the imposition is a bit of a nuisance, since it
requires switching two of the type pages before perfecting; but you still
have the basic economy of perfecting from the same forme. I'm inclined to
think that 18mo in 9s is almost certain to be from a hand-press, and isn't
used much after the mid-1820s.)

Joe Felcone, in his newly published revised and expanded bibliography of
early New Jersey imprints, describes a number of these, some of which
regularly place the odd leaf off center (which may make for a slightly
sturdier binding). We had a delightful correspondence about this and other
unusual practices of printers who (generally) worked in the hinterlands.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU