[DCRM-L] Gathered in 9's?

Hillyard, Brian b.hillyard at nls.uk
Thu Nov 29 10:57:56 MST 2012

Hello Deborah

Hector Macdonald, "A book gathered in nines", The Bibliotheck, 7
(1974-75), 76-78, referring to C. Stower, The printers' grammar (London,
1808), p. 199, on 18mo books printed by half sheet imposition, and
Gaskell, New introduction, p. 329.  Hector is describing NLS H.M.289, an
Edinburgh imprint of 1781 = ESTC T87195 where the format is given as
18mo.  He records the collation of this book as a2 A-N9 O7 and says that
in gatherings A-N you can see the sewing between the fourth leaf and its
conjugate and the fifth leaf is tipped into the inner margin of the
conjugate of the fourth leaf, which matches your description. (I've not
examined our book myself.)

Best wishes

Brian

Dr Brian Hillyard

Rare Books and Music Collections Manager

National Library of Scotland

George IV Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1EW

E-mail: b.hillyard at nls.uk

Direct dial: +44 (0)131 623 3889