[DCRM-L] Gathered in 9's?

JOHN LANCASTER jjlancaster at me.com
Thu Nov 29 12:34:35 MST 2012

18mo in 9s is briefly mentioned by Gaskell, p. 329, documenting instructions for imposing it as early as 1755.  I imagine it must have been used in Britain, but I've only ever seen it in American printing of the late 18th-early 19th century.  Ccing Jim Green is a good idea, since I know it appears in some Philadelphia printing; I believe Joe Felcone's recent N.J. bibliography has examples; and there are a few from the hinterlands of western Massachusetts.  A consistent gathering in 9s like this almost certainly points to 18mo, I believe.  I've never seen an imposition diagram, but I'd imagine the only layout that would make sense would be two rows of nine, and I recollect the examples I've seen as tall in proportion to width.

John Lancaster