[DCRM-L] DPC for Area 4, manufacture elements

Sun Sep 16 20:47:22 MDT 2012

I like Manon's revision very much. I wonder, though, if we are opening the door for uncertainty too wide by the use of "presumed."

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Manon Theroux
Sent: Sunday, 16 September, 2012 22:27
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] DPC for Area 4, manufacture elements

I pretty much agree with everything Deborah says. The revision to
4A6.2.2 that she supports is exactly what I proposed during the BSC meeting at ALA Annual (when Jain first raised the issue).

I should say that in August, after thinking some more about it, I made a follow-up suggestion to Jain privately, proposing the following revision of 4A6.2.2 (which is only slightly different than what I proposed at ALA Annual):

PROPOSED
4A6.2.2. However, if the manufacturer is known or presumed not to be the publisher, distributor, etc., transcribe the manufacturer statement as such according to the instructions in 4E, 4F, and 4G. If the identity of the publisher, distributor, etc., can be determined or reasonably surmised, supply the name of the publisher, distributor, etc., in square brackets.

CURRENT
4A6.2.2. However, if the manufacturer is known not to be the publisher, distributor, etc., and the identity of the publisher, distributor, etc., can be determined or reasonably surmised, supply the name of the publisher, distributor, etc., in square brackets and transcribe the manufacturer statement as such according to the instructions in 4E, 4F, and 4G.

--
Manon Théroux
Head of Technical Services