[DCRM-L] DPC for Area 4, manufacture elements

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Mon Sep 17 08:07:51 MDT 2012

I'd hate to see something like a Wikipedia rule concerning cataloger
judgement, that being what we mean here by presumption. Direct
documentation is rarely available in such cases as those given by way of
example. We often have little to go on except our presumptions, based on
the 10,000+ books we've dealt with. The results of not presuming are not
always neutral; that is, the resulting description may read as a positive
assertion that the facts are other than what they presumably are.

Anyway, where I feel that things are a bit up in the air, I have two rules:
1) Do not mislead. 2) When in doubt, explain in such a way that a reader of
the record is made aware of another human being's conscious judgment--in
other words, do not appear to  invoke the spurious authority of
standardized anonymity.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU