[DCRM-L] Relationship Designators

Elizabeth O'Keefe EOKEEFE at themorgan.org
Thu Sep 20 11:37:10 MDT 2012

I'm not understanding why it's necessary to come up with a comprehensive
list of relationship designators for RDA. I thought that RDA was
intended to provide general principles and rules for description,
leaving it to specialized cataloging communities to use RDA as a
baseline for material-specific instructions and terminology.  In a world
of linked data, isn't it sufficent to code the source of the
relationship designator, whether it's the RBMS list of relator terms or
the AAT agent facet used in art cataloging or whatever?

Liz O'Keefe

Elizabeth O'Keefe
Director of Collection Information Systems
The Morgan Library & Museum
225 Madison Avenue
New York, NY  10016-3405

TEL: 212 590-0380
FAX: 212-768-5680
NET: eokeefe at themorgan.org

Visit CORSAIR, the Library’s comprehensive collections catalog, now
on
the web at
http://corsair.themorgan.org

>>> "Young, Stephen" <stephen.young at yale.edu> 9/20/2012 10:38 AM >>>
Eileen,

I beg that your task group keep in mind the economic realities many of
us face: growing backlogs and insufficient staff to keep up with them.
We do not need any more requirements above the RDA core. Recommendations
about how relationship designators might be used, suggestions for new
ones, etc., are fine, but I think they should remain optional and not
required. Many of our systems do not yet display them. All the extras
are great in an ideal world, but can they be justified when so much
remains without minimal access?

Stephen R. Young
Rare Book Team Leader
Catalog and Metadata Services