[DCRM-L] DPC on manufacture elements - final(?) rule edits, with commentary

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Mon Sep 24 07:57:54 MDT 2012

Is it implicit, or somewhere explicit, that in the case of e.g. 260 $a
"s.l." (or the more characterful "Place of publication not identified") /
260 $e New York, N.Y., one would code the MARC fixed field "nyu", rather
than  "xx#"? Or should we perhaps retain, in practice, such a presumptive
identification of place of publication as "United States" and code "xxu",
following DCRM(B) 4b12.2? (It seems reasonable to supply an upper-level
place name where the printing statement can be trusted as a source for
nationality, in the pre-outsourcing period for jurisdictions where
censorship was not a major factor.)

I gather that that rule is being renegotiated or refined to some extent in
the course of this revision, to allow for 260 $a "s.l." if (and only if?) a
place of manufacture provides the necessary geographic anchor.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU