[DCRM-L] In bookplates subdivision

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Thu Apr 11 07:47:37 MDT 2013

We are beginning to catalog our extensive collection of bookplates at the
item level. We want to provide access to the person or institution that
commissioned the bookplate, and I’d like to do so through 6XX and 7XX.
Regarding the 6XX, I’d appreciate the collective wisdom of the group on the
application of the subdivision “In bookplates.”

The scope note reads:

Use as a topical subdivision under names of individual persons, corporate
bodies, countries, cities, etc., and wars for works on *representation of
those persons, organizations*, places, and wars on bookplates.

I’m struggling with how to define the word “representation” in this
context. Must the image of the bookplate be a straightforward portrait of
the individual or a rending of the institution’s building, or might a
heraldic device and other pictorially symbolic elements count as a
“representation”?

Also, I’d welcome any thoughts on what might be an appropriate relationship
designator in a 7XX for a person or institution that commissioned the
bookplate.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Will