[DCRM-L] Forgeries and fakes

Laurence S. Creider lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Fri Apr 12 15:58:45 MDT 2013

Deborah,
I do not think you can call your 1855 ed. either a fake or a forgery, even
using AAT.  You could probably use the term with doctored copy of the 2nd
Folio.  That was forgery.  A fake would be an artificially produced 2nd
Folio intended to deceive.  It sounds like the 1855 edition contains
incorrect readings based on forged textual evidence.

The fact that the editor relied on what proved to be false readings is not
much different from an editor of a classical or medieval text who relies
on a late manuscript even though it can be demonstrated that the reading
of an earlier ms is better (I am ignoring the fact that in this case the
editor has created his own forged evidence for the reading).

I think that a note would be appropriate and perhaps a subject heading for
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Criticism, Textual.  There would be a
lot of blood shed by scholars if one were allowed to editorial emendations
by evaluative terms.

--
Laurence S. Creider
Interim Head
lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu

On Fri, April 12, 2013 3:30 pm, Deborah J. Leslie wrote:
> I'm cataloging the 1855 edition of Shakespeare's works edited by J.
Payne
> Collier, in which he gives the readings according to a
"newly-discovered"
> emended copy of the second folio, which later came out that he himself
emended in a forged 17c hand.

> I'm looking at the controlled vocabulary for fakery in the printing &
publishing vocabulary. Neither "fakes" nor "forgeries" has a scope note.
http://www.rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/controlled_vocabularies/printing-publishing/tr294.htm

> What do I have? The publication isn't itself a forgery--that would be
the
> copy of the 2nd folio that Collier marked up. Do I have a "fake"?
>
> Information, advice, and musings aloud welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Deborah
>
> Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare
Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003 |
http://www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>