[DCRM-L] Forgeries and fakes

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Sat Apr 13 07:32:19 MDT 2013

Literary hoaxes?

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Will Evans

Chief Rare Materials Catalog Librarian

Library of the Boston Athenaeum

10 1/2 Beacon Street

Boston, MA   02108

Tel:  617-227-0270 ext. 224

Fax: 617-227-5266

www.bostonathenaeum.org

*From:* dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] *On
Behalf Of *Deborah J. Leslie
*Sent:* Friday, April 12, 2013 5:30 PM
*To:* DCRM Users' Group
*Subject:* [DCRM-L] Forgeries and fakes

I'm cataloging the 1855 edition of Shakespeare's works edited by J. Payne
Collier, in which he gives the readings according to a "newly-discovered"
emended copy of the second folio, which later came out that he himself
emended in a forged 17c hand.

I'm looking at the controlled vocabulary for fakery in the printing &
publishing vocabulary. Neither "fakes" nor "forgeries" has a scope note.
http://www.rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/controlled_vocabularies/printing-publishing/tr294.htm

What do I have? The publication isn't itself a forgery--that would be the
copy of the 2nd folio that Collier marked up. Do I have a "fake"?

Information, advice, and musings aloud welcome.

Thanks,

Deborah

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare
Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003 |
djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu