[DCRM-L] Draft of PCC RDA CONSER Standard Record (CSR) Guidelines for cataloging rare serials

Carpenter, Jane jfcarpenter at library.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 30 17:54:17 MDT 2013

DCRM Colleagues,
At the request of the PCC Committee on Standards last January, a task group was formed to consider the impact of RDA on the practice of rare serials cataloging-- including physical textual serials and microforms, but not online serials-- and to document what data elements would be required for rare CONSER records in the RDA environment.

The Task Group on RDA and Rare Serials, chaired by Randal Brandt, with the collaboration of Ann Copeland, Jane Gillis, Robert Maxwell, and Rebecca Culbertson, examined CONSER RDA Core Elements (available at: http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/conser/documents/CONSER-RDA-core-elements.doc), identified those areas in that document where PCC rare serials catalogers should or would be allowed to differ from the treatment given by the Library of Congress or other participants in the CONSER program, and where appropriate, created special instructions for catalogers of rare serials.

Please review and comment on the draft PCC RDA CONSER Standard Record (CSR) documentation available at http://www.rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/dcrm/rda/CONSER-RDA-core-elements_rare20130415.pdf.  As with the BSR, the CSR provides instructions for a "floor record" and is the standard followed in creating PCC-CONSER bibliographic records for serials and integrating resources.

In order to facilitate review of this document, the rare materials-specific instructions have been highlighted in gray. Please note that wherever the instructions for rare serials were identical to the instructions for rare materials in the BSR, we have retained the identical wording as the BSR.

The areas of particular variance from the BSR include the following:

  *   numbering (2.6; 2.20.13)

  *   frequency (2.14)

Please also note that in the instructions for numbering, the rare materials provisions run counter to the provisions for non-rare CONSER records, which prefers the alternative instruction at RDA 2.6. We felt that following the base RDA instruction for numbering was in better alignment with the parallel instruction in DCRM(S).

The Task Group welcomes any and all comments and questions.

On behalf of the Task Group,

Randal Brandt

Task Group members:
Randal Brandt (chair), Ann Copeland, Rebecca Culbertson, Jane Gillis, Robert Maxwell

--

Randal Brandt

Principal Cataloger

The Bancroft Library

(510) 643-2275

rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu<mailto:rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu>

http://bancroft.berkeley.edu

"It's hard enough to remember my opinions without

remembering my reasons for them"--The Streets.