[DCRM-L] Printers' widows

Ted P Gemberling tgemberl at uab.edu
Wed Aug 28 11:54:35 MDT 2013

Kathie,
I suppose the problem is that the British Library isn't really bound by the LC-PCC PS. I looked at RDA itself, and 9.2.2.24 (Phrase Containing the Name of Another Person) appears to mandate setting it up as no2009079894 does it, Veuve Bordelet. There is no mention of what you would do if you have more information from reference sources.

I suppose one argument someone could make against the priority of the person's real name is that people looking for old books would be more likely to know the person by the phrases on the title pages than by her real name, unless they happened to have read the reference sources. That's how the rule seems to treat the matter.

If, in addition to being her husband's successor as a printer or bookseller, she also published her own works under her own name, it seems that would be an argument for a "separate bibliographic identity" that called for a separate authority record. Veuve Bordelet and Marie-Jeanne Bordelet might be separate identities. I don't know if I like that, but it's just something worth considering.

At the very least, though, the 400 Bordelet, Marc, ǂc widow of ǂd 1697?-1754, can't be right. As Marc's dates, they belong after his name rather than after "widow of."

Ted Gemberling