[DCRM-L] dimensions of still image

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Wed Aug 28 12:58:50 MDT 2013

As Liz as helpfully noted, one of the RDA revision proposals going to JSC in November concerns the dimensions of still images:
http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-CCC-14.pdf

I encourage any and all to share your thoughts about the proposal, on this list. I will be happy to compile these comments for discussion via CC:DA.

Here are my own initial thoughts and questions.

1. On naming the shape of a nonrectangular resource (RDA 3.5.3.2), the proposed change appears to echo instructions in DCRM(G) 5D3.9. Does it introduce any conflicts?

2. The proposal introduces an alternative to record the dimensions of the sheet instead of the dimensions of the pictorial area (RDA 3.5.3.2). Unlike DCRM(G), RDA does not offer medium-specific guidelines for taking dimensions, and such specificity may be beyond the scope of RDA.

3. The proposal adds guidelines (RDA 3.5.3.3-3.5.3.4) for images on more than one sheet, in parallel to guidelines already provided for cartographic material. Are these guidelines adequate?

4. Dimensions of image in relation to dimensions of sheet, formerly RDA 3.5.3.3, has been moved to 3.5.3.5, with no apparent change in text.

5. The proposal adds guidelines (RDA 3.5.3.6) for the dimensions of pictorial area on a folded sheet. The guidelines appear to be in harmony with DCRM(G) 5D3.10.

Thanks,
Francis

Ps. Many thanks to Liz for the well-articulated comments on RDA's treatment of production information for unpublished resources. The issues you raise will be kept in mind as we work on the new DCRM for RDA.