[DCRM-L] Problems with RDA 3.4.5.9, Leaves or Pages of Plates

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Mon Dec 30 09:46:07 MST 2013

Kathy Glennan, ALA rep to the JSC, has submitted the following issue for discussion in the CC:DA meeting at Midwinter:
http://alcts.ala.org/ccdablog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/JSCrepGlennan201302.pdf

Glennan's summary ends with a list of problems and four questions for discussion. My tentative answers are noted below.

A number of problems have been identified with the current wording:

*        There is a conflict between the instruction in the first paragraph to record the number of leaves or pages of plates and the final paragraph which says to disregard unnumbered sequences of plates unless they meet certain criteria.

*        In this instruction, "plate" is defined obliquely, without reference to the RDA Glossary definition.

*        The instruction mentions the ability to record unnumbered plates, but does not contain information about how to do so. Language could be incorporated from 3.4.5.3.1. Inclusion of this guidance would also address how to record an approximate number of unnumbered plates, which is also absent from 3.4.5.9.

*        The Exception for Early printed resources seems to be misplaced. It probably belongs after the paragraph about disregarding unnumbered

1. Does CC:DA agree that this instruction should be clarified? If so:
FL: Yes, the problems identified above require clarification.

2. Are there additional problems beyond those mentioned above that should be addressed in a revision proposal?
FL: The RDA definition of plate, like that of AACR2, completely ignores the distinction between letterpress and non-letterpress. This seems a significant oversight, but is it a battle worth fighting?

3. Do you have initial thoughts about how to approach solving these problems?
FL: As Glennan suggests, the language of 3.4.5.3.1 could inform parallel guidelines at 3.4.5.9.

4. Who should work on developing a proposal?
FL: I would be willing to volunteer our community to work on the proposal, especially if I could get one or two volunteers (readers of this list) to help with the drafting.

I welcome your thoughts.

Francis

(RBMS Liaison to CC:DA)

Francis Lapka, Catalog Librarian
Yale Center for British Art, Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
1080 Chapel Street, PO Box 208280, New Haven, CT  06520
203.432.9672    francis.lapka at yale.edu<mailto:francis.lapka at yale.edu>

Please note:  The Study Room is closed due to the Center's refurbishment project, and access to the collections is limited and by appointment only. Requests for materials from Prints and Drawings and Rare Books and Manuscripts should be made at least two weeks in advance by e-mailing ycba.prints at yale.edu<mailto:ycba.prints at yale.edu>. It is expected that normal services in the Study Room will resume in early January 2014.