[DCRM-L] OCLC migration from 260 to 264

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Feb 12 08:02:38 MST 2013

>From a message sent by our head of cataloging:

Globally, OCLC intends to add 336/337/338 to all OCLC records containing a
245$h.  In March 2016, they plan to eliminate the gmd altogether.  They
also plan to migrate from 260 to 264 in cases where the change can be
automated.  There may be other changes as well to pre-RDA records.

I don't suppose that there is much mischief involved in ditching the gmd,
 but is there the possibility of irreversible information loss in migrating
data from 260 to 264, as in the case of the global abbreviation of 250 data
a while back? Is this possibly a case where records tagged dcrmb are or
should be exempt?

On the other hand, if it's only a matter of retagging 260 ## $a/b/c as 264
#1 $a/b/c, and  migration of 260 ## $e/f/g to 264 #3 $a/b/c, without change
of content, then no harm done--one hopes.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU