[DCRM-L] DCRM(B) 4D1.3-4D1.4

Randal Brandt rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 13 16:56:40 MST 2013

I am cataloging a pamphlet that has a confusingly constructed imprint.
DCRM(B) 4D1.3 and 4D1.4 do not quite address this situation. The title
in question is "An Heroic Epistle to an Unfortunate Monarch by Peregrine
the Elder [i.e. William Combe]," 1778; ESTC T36159: http://estc.bl.uk/T36159

The imprint reads (with line breaks and original punctuation and
capitalization):

LONDON:
Printed in the YEAR M DCC LXXVIII.
And may be had of E. Benson, No. 13, PATER-NOSTER-ROW.

Reading DCRM(B), I see three possible transcriptions:

1) London : $b And may be had of E. Benson, No. 13, Pater-Noster-Row, $c
printed in the year MDCCLXXVIII [1778]

     (with a note about the transposition)

2) London : $b [s.n.], $c printed in the year MDCCLXXVIII [1778], and
may be had of E. Benson, No. 13, Pater-Noster-Row.

3) London : $b Printed in the year MDCCLXXVIII, and may be had of E.
Benson, No. 13, Pater-Noster-Row, $c [1778]

ESTC went with option 1 above (without the transposition note), but I'm
leaning towards option 3. What sayeth the collective wisdom?

Many thanks in advance,

--
Randal Brandt
rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
http://bancroft.berkeley.edu
"It's hard enough to remember my opinions without
remembering my reasons for them"--The Streets.