[DCRM-L] MARC holdings question on call number type

Margaret F Nichols mnr1 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 14 13:52:18 MST 2013

Hello, Julianne (et al.)—We have Voyager as well, and we also use the 852 $h with first indicator 8 for local call number schemes. We also use $k (before $h) for the collection name if the item is in a named collection that is shelved separately, and $m at the end of the call number for the size designation if the item is oversize or extra small. In case you’re curious to see some examples, a list of all the sublocations in Cornell’s various libraries, with their 852 subfields, is at http://lts.library.cornell.edu/lts/pp/vg/cv/holdlocs#rmc
(the main special collections repository is listed there as Rare & Manuscript Collections/Archives). We use 852 $x for notes for the information of library staff, and $z for public notes, much as in Deborah’s example below.

Best of luck with your migration,

Margaret

Margaret F. Nichols
Rare Materials Cataloging Coordinator