[DCRM-L] DCRM(B) 4D1.3-4D1.4

Elizabeth O'Keefe EOKEEFE at themorgan.org
Thu Feb 14 14:26:43 MST 2013

Hear, hear.  This is something that CCO is very attentive to, because
descriptive information is frequently repurposed beyond the confines of
the catalog, in labels, catalog entries, online exhibitions, etc. It is
easier for object catalogers to do this, because they are not
constrained by transcription; nevertheless, CCO still insists on a
divide betwen data that is intended for display and data that is
intended for machine processing. It does involve a fair amount of
duplicate data entry, though.

Liz O'Keefe

Elizabeth O'Keefe
Director of Collection Information Systems
The Morgan Library & Museum
225 Madison Avenue
New York, NY  10016-3405

TEL: 212 590-0380
FAX: 212-768-5680
NET: eokeefe at themorgan.org

Visit CORSAIR, the Library’s comprehensive collections catalog, now
on
the web at
http://corsair.themorgan.org

>>> "Noble, Richard" <richard_noble at brown.edu> 2/14/2013 4:13:22 PM

One thing that a newly RDA-based DCRM might explore is bifurcation of
transcription and data packaging.

How this would work with MARC I'm not sure, but at the rate we're
going,
data normalization and descriptive transcription are increasingly
working
at cross purposes. In some cases, rather than try to write a note on
transpositions in which complexity will overwhelm sense, I provide a
direct
transcription, *sans* ISBD punctuation, headed "Imprint reads:" This is
the
tactic adopted by catalogers of the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin, with
note
heading "Vorlageform des Erscheinungsvermerks", e.g.

http://stabikat.sbb.spk-berlin.de/DB=1/XMLPRS=N/PPN?PPN=568224914

How far this could be extended to other areas of the title page I'm
not
sure. Presumably we still want to enable data matching of at least key
portions of exact transcription (*à la* alternate transcriptions in
246),
though linked digital images would be the best approach for human-eye
comparison, as in e.g. VD17, with its very embraceable
"Schlüsselseiten".

As it is, we're trying to reconstruct cows from the irreversible
deconstruction that is beef stew (or vegetables from vegetarian
chili--whatever).

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN
UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 :
RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Deborah J. Leslie
<DJLeslie at folger.edu>wrote:

>  Ah yes, THAT elephant. I have no idea and don't believe it can be
done
> without completely mutilating that and countless other
> publication/production statements.   ****
>
> ** **
>
> Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger
Shakespeare