[DCRM-L] Future publication of DCRMs

Carpenter, Jane jfcarpenter at library.ucla.edu
Wed Feb 27 10:24:09 MST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

As most of you already know, LC informed BSC this week that with the exception of DCRM Graphics, all future DCRM publications will be online only.  I'm passing on some additional information received today from Peter Seligman of LC's Consumer Products and Services Section of the Office of Business Enterprises, which now oversees print publications:

                "Given the projected manuscript production and delivery schedule, we felt that the Graphics publication was too far along for us to suddenly inform everyone that we could no longer do it in print.  Music and Cartographics were not quite so imminent. We're truly sorry to deliver this unexpected news but these are business decisions we must make. Yes--Bruce [Johnson] will be handling the three manuals inclusion in Cataloger's Desktop. As for the sequester--who knows what effects it will have on everyone? The Library of Congress is planning for almost  a week of unpaid staff furloughs, but nothing is written in stone."

So DCRM Graphics, currently undergoing close reading by BSC members and other BSC colleagues, will join the DCRM Books and Serials manuals already in print.  However, all future DCRMs--Cartographics, Music, and Manuscripts-- will be available only online through Catalogers Desktop, and, we hope, through the RBMS website as well.

LC has always been an excellent partner with RBMS/BSC in publishing these important cataloging tools, and I don't see that changing in the future.

As always, comments and discussion are welcome,
Thanks,
Jane

Jane Carpenter, Ph.D., M.L.I.S.
Chair, Bibliographic Standards Committee
UCLA Library Special Collections
jfcarpenter at library.ucla.edu