[DCRM-L] Future publication of DCRMs

Carpenter, Jane jfcarpenter at library.ucla.edu
Wed Feb 27 12:31:07 MST 2013

Manon,

The publication issues and options regarding the DCRM manuals are getting more and more complex by the minute!  Peter has just informed me that any of the manuals in print--Books, Serials, Graphics-- cannot be made available for free on the RBMS website.

		"CDS made an investment in printing the Books and Serials publications; and the same will 		hold true for Graphics. Because the two earlier ones are still active products, for sale, 		and the Graphics publication will also be for sale, we cannot, at this time, agree to have 		the RBMS web site post those three manuals online.
		Congressional legislation mandates that we return the cost of production plus an additional 		percentage back to the U.S. Treasury. So, we don't have really any leeway here."

Unfortunately, I do understand that LC would be reluctant/unable to provide free access through the RBMS website to publications that it is marketing for sale as print publications and for paid accessibility through Catalogers Desktop.

I asked him how LC would feel about allowing free access through the RBMS website to DCRM manuals that AREN'T available in print.  If Cartographics, Music, and Manuscripts will be appearing only on CatDesk, would LC allow RBMS to make those files available on its site? He responded that because CDS will not be publishing in print any DCRM publication after Graphics, LC would have absolutely no say on whatever arrangements RBMS/BSC would wish to make.  Ironically, it seems that those manuals without a print version could be made more widely available--through the RBMS website--than the ones with a print version.

Another possible option to consider might be the current model of the RBMS Controlled Vocabularies, which is hosted on the RBMS site, but "available" through a seamless link on CatDesk.  This is the what the Standard Citations Forms Revision Group is hoping to do with its new completely revised and expanded edition which is nearing completion, and is slated for publication sometime before year's end.
I'm not sure putting all the manuals, Examples, and SCF on the RBMS site is feasible for the Web Team as it stands now.  It would certainly be a lot more work for them.

Annie's suggestion to explore the possibility of securing another/other publisher(s) for the remaining DCRM manuals is worth considering. But again, if a publisher were selling the DCRM manuals, would they agree to have RBMS post it for free online?  I'd also like to know if LC would post the manuals on CatDesktop if someone else were publishing them.  I'll wait to hear from Bruce Johnson on the CatDesk issues.

I'm becoming quite concerned about keeping multiple RBMS/BSC publications uniformly accessible in this changing publication landscape, with some available in print, some print and online, some online only, some through LC on CatDesk, some through RBMS but linked to Cat Desk.. This is clearly a discussion topic for the BSC agenda at Annual.  Perhaps BSC should set up a Publications committee to ensure that BSC has a consistent and sustainable plan for making its manuals and other cataloging tools as widely and easily available as possible.  Would this be something for the DCRM Steering Group to consider, if their charge were expanded?  That might be another option.

Jane C.