[DCRM-L] Consulting the RBMS Pubs Committee

Jackie Dooley dooleyj at oclc.org
Wed Feb 27 19:22:06 MST 2013

Larry said: ³P.S. I just saw Richard's note, which makes many good points.
I would
prefer doing something on the BSC level rather than the RBMS publication
committee because there seems to be some sort of organizational law that
the higher up in the structure you go, the less understanding there is of
what life on the ground is like.  The rare materials cataloging community
has done a remarkably good job of keeping its focus on improving and
making standards public.  With the constantly changing membership of the
section Publications Committee, we are likely to get a Pharoah who did not
know Joseph and end up making bricks without straw.²

With all respect, Larry, BSC and the Pubs Committee are on the same level in
the RBMS hierarchy, but the latter is responsible for publications,
including web publications. Why would they do anything unreasonable? But
forgive me for commenting if you were only hyperbolizing.* :)

--Jackie

* Apologies if my made-up word is inappropriate!

--
Jackie Dooley
Program Officer, OCLC Research

dooleyj at oclc.org
949.492.5060 (work/home) -- Pacific Time (GMT ­8)
949.295.1529 (mobile)