[DCRM-L] Future publication of DCRMs

Jackie Dooley dooleyj at oclc.org
Thu Feb 28 09:53:17 MST 2013

Deborah said, ³The value that publication in Cataloger¹s Desktop adds to BSC
documents in terms of integration, linking, formatting, and overall
convenience is not insignificant. RBMS is in no position to come even close
to duplicating that functionality ... I would prefer to have LC publish our
manuals on Cataloger¹s Desktop, with all its attendant functionality, along
with the understanding that we could supply a flat electronic text file for
free from our website. Seriously‹is anyone going to cancel their Cataloger¹s
Desktop subscription because they can get a pdf of DCRM(C) for free?²

Excellent points!

Re the latter, whether or not open access to a version of a pub reduces
sales of print has been a big question for perhaps a decade now. (This is
irrelevant to the Cat Desktop, of course, with all its great functionality.)
The SAA pubs director tells me that the prevailing wisdom is that no, it
doesn¹t reduce sales of print. This assumes a print publication that has a
major added-convenience factor, which I would guess  constantly-at-hand
manuals such as the DCRMs do have. LC surely has a longstanding philosophy
about this, given all the cataloging tools that it publishes and the extent
to which they¹ve gradually ditched print right and left.

---Jackie