[DCRM-L] Future publication of DCRMs

Carpenter, Jane jfcarpenter at library.ucla.edu
Thu Feb 28 11:09:58 MST 2013

I must say that I agree with Deborah about the value of having RBMS/BSC publications appear on Catalogers Desktop.  So much work, effort, expense, expertise, and time has gone into the production of these manuals that it seems desirable that they carry the LC imprimatur in some way.  I don't want to see them relegated to some home-grown webpage.  Moving everything to the RBMS site would be a huge project, hopefully RBMS would be willing to support/fund this new direction and new huge workload.   Perhaps the ideal situation is to host the publications on our website, but have them linked to Catalogers Desktop, as is currently being done with Controlled Vocabularies.

And for BSC publications available online only through Cat Desktop, LC seems willing to let us load those files on the RBMS site, as is being done with  DCRMB Examples.

Deborah, did RBMS/BSC and LC ever have any formal agreements/contracts about publication of the DCRM manuals?

I don't think we can make a snap decision to simply cancel print publication of Graphics without first consulting the RBMS Publications Committee (but have they ever  been involved with the DCRM publications?), the Executive Committee, the Web Team-

I will continue to discuss these issues with Peter, and Erin is also going to go see Peter and discuss all possible options.

Jane