[DCRM-L] RDA 3.4.5.3 ... how to count unnumbered pages

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Mon Jan 21 10:15:58 MST 2013

Included in the recent LC proposal for the revision of RDA instructions on extent (“clarification of leaves and pages”) was a new set of guidelines on how to describe volumes consisting entirely of unnumbered pages. Here is the pertinent section, as accepted by JSC at its November meeting:

3.4.5.3 Single Volume With Unnumbered Pages, Leaves, or Columns
            […]
                        c) Record 1 volume (unpaged).
                        EXAMPLE
                        1 volume (unpaged)
            When recording the number or estimated number of unnumbered pages or leaves, apply these guidelines:
                        a) If the leaves are printed or written on both sides, record the numbering in terms of pages.
                        b) If the leaves are printed or written on one side, record the numbering in terms of leaves.

Several people have since suggested that it would be useful to add further guidelines on *how* to record the number of unnumbered pages or leaves. In DCRM(B), this is addressed in rule 5B8.1 (“Begin the count … ”:
5B8.1.
If the whole volume is unpaginated or unfoliated, count the pages or leaves and record the total in arabic numerals within square brackets. State the total in terms of pages or leaves, but not of both. Begin the count with the first page or leaf of the first gathering<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbGatheringSLASHglossary&hash=GatheringSLASHglossary> and end the count with the last page or leaf of the last gathering<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmbGatheringSLASHglossary&hash=GatheringSLASHglossary>, as instructed in 5B3<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=dcrmb5B3&hash=5B3>. Count all blank pages or leaves.

For non-rare materials, one might (traditionally) instruct the cataloger to begin with the first page that has printing on it and count until the last page that has printing on it.

Would our community be interested in submitting a revision proposal for this element? If so, would it make sense to offer a general instruction for non-rare materials and an exception for early printed resources?

Francis

Francis Lapka, Catalog Librarian
Yale Center for British Art, Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
1080 Chapel Street, PO Box 208280, New Haven, CT  06520
203.432.9672    francis.lapka at yale.edu<mailto:francis.lapka at yale.edu>