[DCRM-L] DCRM and RDA: a summary of discussions at ALA

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Mon Jul 15 13:22:41 MDT 2013

The proposal I sent to this list on June 17 was discussed at ALA, in the meeting of the DCRM(B)-RDA revision group and in the meeting of the Bibliographic Standards Committee. I'm pleased to note that improvements to the proposal were suggested (and well received)-especially regarding working methods for the new approach to DCRM. At the conclusion of discussion in the BSC meeting, a straw-poll indicated strong support for the adoption of the new approach. The outline below incorporates feedback received at ALA.

I encourage everyone to review the plan, as revised. Objections and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Barring objection, a charge for the new DCRM editorial group will be composed in the coming weeks. Members of the Bibliographic Standards Committee will then consider the charge in an online vote (via ALA Connect).

Thanks,
Francis

1. A consolidated DCRM

·         There is a general consensus that a consolidated DCRM text is desirable.

·         It is also desirable to have the option to filter a unified text by format type.

o   The technical requirements for such functionality-on rbms.info, and perhaps within the RDA Toolkit-may be more difficult than anticipated. It would be a good idea to charge a group to work on the technical requirements well in advance of implementation of a new DCRM. This work should be undertaken in conjunction with the RBMS web editor and RBMS Publications Committee.

·         BSC should initiate a conversation with ALA publishing to clarify issues relating to the dissemination of RDA guidelines (perhaps using RDA language) as part of a freely available version of DCRM on rbms.info.

·         There is at least some support for the idea that a unified DCRM might also expand its scope to include material such as electronic resources, realia, or other previously out-of-scope formats.

·         An RDA-compatible (and consolidated) DCRM should be considered an altogether new text, rather than a revision of DCRM(B).

2. Working methods

·         The current working group charged to create a revision of DCRM(B) will be charged instead to coordinate the creation of a consolidated DCRM.

o   Membership of the group should be augmented to include representative expertise on formats in the current set of DCRM modules.

·         The initial imperative of the DCRM editorial group should be to consider the overarching purpose, scope, and general guidelines of the new DCRM. This work will include a comparison of texts corresponding roughly to DCRM(x) chapter 0 and RDA chapters 0 and 1. Much of the subsequent work will depend on the principles established in this area.

·         Subgroups to the DCRM editorial group will be charged to work on DCRM guidelines corresponding to specific sections of the RDA text. The subgroup assignments will be focused and finite.

o   Membership of the subgroups will include representatives from within the DCRM editorial group and members external to the group.

o   It will be most useful to begin with two subgroups, working on:

§  RDA 2.3-2.4 Title & Statement of Responsibility

§  RDA 2.7-2.11 Production, Publication, Distribution, Manufacture & Copyright

·         Upon completion of an assignment, the work of the subgroup will be reviewed and edited-in a timely manner-in coordination with teams representing the format types (including books). Membership of such teams may largely overlap with the membership of the existing DCRM modules, but may also include new members.

o   Work on a consolidated DCRM for all format types (from the start) will benefit from the fact that the current editorial teams for DCRM modules are (in many cases) only now finishing their work, so that the teams may consider RDA while the format-specific concerns are still fresh in their minds.

·         The DCRM editorial group should provide an initial estimate of the time required to complete various parts of the project, so that anyone interested in participating may be aware of the corresponding time commitment.

3. (Piecemeal?) dissemination

·         There remain concerns about the appropriateness of a piecemeal dissemination of the revision.

·         Those in favor of piecemeal issuance generally agree that the BSR (or CSR?) could serve as general guidance for the portions of the new DCRM text not yet completed.

·         It might generally be useful to propagate (in some sense) the completed portions of the new DCRM as soon possible in order to initiate early testing of the new guidelines.

·         The issue of dissemination will be reconsidered later, as the new DCRM takes form.