[DCRM-L] Capitalization question

Stephen A Skuce skuce at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 23 08:39:35 MDT 2013

It's an example and not a rule, but the example at DCRM(B) 1B7.3 capitalizes the chief title in a similar circumstance:

A brand new song, entitled The Irishman's address to the [...]

Stephen

Stephen Skuce
Program Manager for Rare Books
Institute Archives and Special Collections

MIT Room 14N-118
77 Mass. Ave.
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
617.253.0654

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Erin Blake
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:29 AM
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Capitalization question

I agree. Treat it as a quoted title and capitalize the first letter.

I see DCRM(B) avoided the issue by having the a chief title that starts with a proper noun: Hereafter foloweth a litel boke called Colyn Cloute

And DCRM(G) does the same end-run, with a poster title from a very different era: Bill Graham presents, in San Francisco, Grateful Dead, Junior Wells Chicago Blues Band, and the Doors

Erin.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  |  Washington, DC 20003-1004  |  office tel. +1 (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  +1 (202) 675-0328  |  eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu |  collation.folger.edu